Download the alpha build here:
Project Shore Alpha Build v. 0.1.0 Download
Concept, game design,
story, UI scripting,
gameplay & AI scripting
Excel, Google Docs, C++,
GIMP, Unreal Engine 4
Project Shore (working title) is a single player tactical RPG in a low fantasy medieval setting, currently in development using Unreal Engine 4. You play as a newly-made leader of a mercenary company after an assignment gone wrong. Having barely escaped from a deadly encounter with a friend-turned-backstabber, and then another one with an unknown otherwordly force, you need to lead what is left of your squad through the times of tumult while searching for hidden truth of what had really transpired to you.
- Become proficient in Unreal Engine 4 and its Blueprint visual scripting system
- Design and implement a playable prototype illustrating all core systems of the game
- Create a story synopsis and produce 1-2 gameplay hours worth of story content for the alpha build
- Design and balance a character progression system for the alpha featuring several skill trees with various purposes (offensive, defensive, support)
I started the project wanting to build a tactically rich RPG combat system prototype inspired by The Last Remnant and SaGa series while learning the ropes of Unreal Engine 4 toolset. As I grew more confident using the engine, my vision expanded from a single combat demo to a fully fledged game prototype which currently includes the following features:
- Scalable battles ranging from basic 1v1 encounters to massive skirmishes with dozens of characters pariticipating
- Combat order system which lets the player focus on the big picture instead of micro-managing individual units
- Adaptive character advancement system and an in-game editor which lets players tweak squads, formations, as well as individual character’s equipment and abilities
- Interconnected game levels making use of UE4’s streaming level system, which provides a great amount of flexibility in level design with a special focus on reactivity to player actions and choices
- Variable-based dialogue system inspired by Neverwinter Nights’ Aurora Toolset, powering the branching NPC dialogue of the game
In addition to the core features, a number of auxiliary were created using UE4’s tools:
- Player controller supporting both combat and exploration functionalities
- Character animation controller allowing characters to switch stances depending on equipped weapon setup
- Interactable NPC AI system which governs the NPC behaviour out of combat
- Modular ability and effect systems, including offensive abilities, healing, buffs/debuffs and debuff removal
- Customizable weapon system which allows individual weapons to have their own unlockable abilities and buffs
- External data table support throughout all game systems to allow quick editing via Excel
- FX gimmicks, including blood splatters, dynamic weather, flickering fire and a variety of particle systems used for character states and ability effects
I was also responsible for implementing the game UI in its entirety using UMG, Unreal’s UI editor. I worked together with a UI artist to integrate graphic assets produced by her into the game and coded all the interactions.
Finally, I developed a custom level script actor using C++ to allow for simple integration with the game’s event system and player save states.
I built the project around graphic assets obtained from Unreal Marketplace which allowed me to focus on game design and implementation. Purchased assets were customized to suit the desired look and feel while giving me the desired level of flexibility. For example, I modified the character models from using a fixed color scheme to being fully customizable using multiple color channels in an instanced material. I also collaborated with a level designer to produce the level assets seen in the game.